When William O. Mehlich came into the business, he started and developed properties in close proximity to their home office as well as operating a commercial brokerage. William was one of the original members of the International Council of Shopping Centers back in 1958.
Besides operating an active commercial brokerage operation, William also sought sites for the Grand Union Company throughout the Northeast and then proceeded to develop shopping centers around their locations. This is how the company’s first center, the Poughkeepsie Plaza, was born in 1958. Still in the company’s portfolio, the Poughkeepsie Plaza is the core property of the Mehlich Associates portfolio.
In 1974, Robert W. Mehlich joined the firm in the leasing and management area. He helped convert the Poughkeepsie Plaza to an enclosed mall in 1976 and lease the newly renovated center. In the 1980’s Mehlich associates expanded the center three times and started the transformation from a real estate brokerage into an owner and operator of shopping centers.
During this time they also purchased several properties in Florida, which have since been sold. Several properties have recently been added to our portfolio in the New England area as we continue to look for acquisitions of medium sized shopping centers within the New England/New York Region.
Robert W. Mehlich, Jr. joined the firm in 2005. He works with the leasing and management of our properties.